The Panathenaic Stadium Official Double-faced Hermes column built for the renovations of Panathenaic Stadium, ordered by Herodes Atticus in 140AD. They were found in good condition during the excavations of 1870-75, superintended by Ernst Ziller before the restoration, and ever since placed in their current position. They both bear two faces: in one side that of a young adult, and in the opposite, that of a bearded older man. Probably depict the form of Hermes and Hercules, patron of the Games, or perhaps the forms of an athlete and his trainer. During the Olympic Games of 1896 they are pictured to be wreathed.
Official Replica scale: 1:10000
Base: 3.00cm x 2.50cm